Thursday, March 1, 2012

Green Eggs and Ham-licious

In honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday on March 2, I decided on a Green Eggs and Ham themed bento. There will also be a Seuss-themed Blog Hop to celebrate, so stay tuned Friday! And check out Diana Rambles' Suess-themed Thematic Thursday link-up for fun Seuss crafts, activities, and foods!

 Green Eggs and Ham
Her lunch: Carrot and sprouts "trees," raspberry and string cheese "hat" kebobs,
Special K crackers "box," ham, green devilled eggs
You May Like Them in a Tree!: "I would not, could not in a tree. Not in a car, you let me be!"
Carrot stick 'trunks' with alfalfa sprout 'leaves.' We'll see how it goes. She didn't want the sprouts when I bought them and made me buy bean sprouts as well.

Would You Eat Them in a Box?: Really I had already decided to put some Special K crackers in, just to get her some Grains food group for this meal, and I remembered the bit about the box after. Hoody hoo!

Cat in the Hat: While the ubiquitous striped hat isn't part of this story, it's a fun icon for all things Seuss. Plus it was a way to incorporate the Fruit and Dairy food groups. And the Cat is on the back of every book. So there.

Green Eggs and Ham: The ham is just sliced into strips and gathered on heart skewers from Dollar Tree. For the eggs, I used the Alton Brown method of hard-boiling them (put eggs in pot of cold water, bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat. Let sit for 8 minutes for softer yolks, 12 minutes for harder.) Supposed to make peeling easier. In 8 out of 10 eggs, the peel came off flawlessly, so I put those in various egg molds to try my luck. The fails went into my lunch and got turned into devilled green eggs for Z. Stole the idea Was inspired by Karen at What's In John's Lunch Bag
I sliced the egg in half, dumped the yolk into a plastic baggie, squirted in a tiny bit of mustard, one drop green food coloring, one drop blue, and Ranch dressing instead of mayo. Mixed it all up in the bag (and added more Ranch since it looked too dry still) then snipped off a corner of the baggie and splorted it back into the egg halves. Ta-dah!
Mama's Lunch
My lunch: Organic lettuce salad w/ chopped egg, carrots,
raisins, almonds, raspberry vinaigrette (in blue container.)
String cheese nibblets, Special K crackers, apples.

  

2 comments:

  1. Hoody hoo! You are a hoot :) Love your lunches! And I swear I didn't copy you, but I did the exact same thing for with the ham on the exact same dollar tree skewers for Beanstalk's lunch :P But no fabulous eggs or trees - I really love the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of raspberry and string cheese kabobs. Looks nice!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! Tell me how awesome I am. Or ask a question. Whatever.

(Please note that I had to disable Anonymous comments. Too many spam comments coming through the filters.)