Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mustard Greens and Beans Curry - Vegan Recipe

Z chose a bundle of mustard greens at our CSA farm pick-up, totally ignoring my attempt to convince her to go for the purple kale. "I like mustard." Bah!
I found some curry recipes with beans and mustard greens, but they were all cream and tomato based. There were a bunch of comments in the reviews about what people had tried other than cream (yogurt, sour cream, etc,) with some questions about what a vegan could use instead of dairy. We like our curries yellow and milky. So I opted for coconut milk instead of cream and tomatoes, making this vegan as well as vegetarian.

Mustard Greens and Beans Curry

Ingredients:
1 cup brown rice
4 cups water, divided
1 can beans, any variety, drained and rinsed (I chose kidney beans)
1 bunch mustard greens
1-2 green garlic bulbs and stems OR 1/2 to 1 small onion plus 2 clove or 2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3-4 tsp curry powder
2 tsp Masala curry powder
1 can coconut milk
Any veggies or bento veggie scraps needing to get used. I chopped up broccoli and cauliflower stems, and some green beans starting to go bad, and tossed them in too.

Directions:
Step 1: Pour brown rice and 3 cups water into crockpot to begin soaking. Set aside.

Step 2: Chop mustard greens into small pieces. Mince green garlic (or onion and garlic. I read somewhere that green garlic can substitute for either.) Add to crock pot. Add rinsed beans to crock pot. Chop and add any other veggies you feel would blend well. To be honest, I may have added a teaspoon or two of minced garlic as well as the minced green garlic and just forgot to write it down. We love garlic. And I vaguely recall getting the garlic out for something recently.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to eat the mustard greens stems or not, and they tasted nasty raw, but I chopped them up and tossed them in. They were very mild after being stewed.

Step 3: Add salt, pepper, and curry powders to coconut milk. Mix well and pour over rice and greens in crockpot. Pour remaining cup of water over the top.

Step 4: Cover. Cook on High 3 to 4 hours. (Or Low 5-6 hours.) 
You can also use an all-metal or all-glass pot inside your oven if you don't have a crock pot. Oven on 300 F for High, or 200 F for low.

The Verdict:
Hubby and I both loved the flavor. The mustard greens did nothing for it, either way, although I found some of the stems to be a little tough, so they felt funny in my mouth. He didn't notice any texture issues however. Maybe if I had cooked it on slow for longer, they would have softened up more. I almost wish I had just mashed up the mustard greens in the food processor.

Leftovers made into wraps with spinach leaves. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead! Tell me how awesome I am. Or ask a question. Whatever.

(Please note that I had to disable Anonymous comments. Too many spam comments coming through the filters.)